1.18.2011

sunset moose

Determined to have a positive run, we set out to do an easy out-and-back on the main north-valley trail. Nearly two weeks had passed since our last moonlit moose encounter, and I was confidant that the mama moose and her baby had exhausted their resources at the big pond and moved on through the marshes. I bundled up extra against the -28 temperatures and we headed out.

The dogs were as ready for a good run as I was. Although many teams make a crazy racket to go when being hooked up, these four are usually a mellow bunch before we head out. Not this day. Leo, Dottie and Sawyer were screaming to go and Pico caught onto their excitement and added his high-pitched puppy bark to the cacophony. As soon as I pulled the hook and called Leo haw out of the driveway, they were silent and running hard for the trail at the end of the road.

As we ran down the field-trail to the marshes, I looked hard but didn't see any moose-shaped shadows against the snow. Although I couldn't see the big pond, I was hopeful that we had seen the last of the moose family. Just as we got to the trees where the trail drops onto the marsh, an SUV sized shadow blocked the trail in front of us, paused and leapt away. I could feel the vibration of heavy hoof-beats through the runners. The moose had not moved on, but were camped out in the woods right next to the trail. Baby moose followed seconds behind mama, crossing just in front of Leo and a screeching Pico as I slammed on the brake and braced myself for the ferocious impact of her maternal defense. None came, and seconds later we dropped down onto the pond. I looked back into the trees and saw the enormous animal snorting and stomping just twenty yards away as we flew down the trail and away into the marshes. That decided it. We are done with this out-trail for the season.

The rest of the run was thankfully uneventful, peaceful and beautiful. And a little cold. I may need to switch to bunny boots when we run colder than -25. The sun was setting behind us as we headed out, and the red-orange glow of twilight hovered over the trail all the way home. It is getting colder again, but I have decided that as long as the dogs are comfortable we are going to run. I can always scrounge up more layers.

1 comment:

Janis said...

God, I'm having heart attacks reading this!