10.31.2011

little victories

Today was a perfect day. The sun was out, the sky was a clear baby blue and the temperature was sitting at about 15F. We are still in that part of early winter where the sun is high enough to make real, bright, squint-inducing daylight. The snow is sparkling and even though we aren't really in winter-wonderland territory, we are getting there.

After yesterday's trouble getting out of the yard, I was apprehensive to put Xtra up front right out of the gate. I don't want to put more pressure on her than she can handle, especially since I've made that mistake quite a bit with Norrin early this season. My options were limited. Pepper was out, as was Norrin. I really like how Devilfish and Parka are doing as a wheel pair and don't want to mess with that quite yet. I know Pico will run up front, but I don't trust his ADHD brain once we are off the trail and on the road. He is likely to pull an otherwise straight-ahead and focused team into an oncoming car or after a stray dog. When he is in team, his attempts to pull this kind of behavior off are thwarted by their momentum and Norrin's steady bulk.

I waited until the last second to make my decision, and it was this: I would hook Xtra up with Reese just before we left. If she tried to turn and follow me back to the ATV more than once, I'd switch her for Pico and then switch them back as soon as we were on the road. To my surprise, Xtra lined out next to Reese, leaning into his lanky side and watching me as I walked back down the line. Encouraged, Peter and I jumped on the ATV and we were off ... through the yard and down the trail without a hitch. I was elated.

I kept a close eye on Pico as we headed out. We've been having intermittent trouble with his right front foot. There is no injury or irritation I can find, but he chews on it constantly, to the point we've had in an e-collar on several occasions over the last month. The fur is discolored from all his attention, and there seems to be black crud collecting between his pads but for the life of me I can't fine the source. His pulling has been off, too. Although he is a distracted pup, he is usually happy to work hard for all of the miles I've put on him over the last two winters. This season, however, he seems to be maxing out between two and three miles, and then dropping back and refusing to pull. He isn't limping or being dragged along, he just won't keep his tug line tight. I would chalk this up to laziness, except it is new, and there is that foot. I've been treating the foot alternately with Desitin and an oil-based ointment but to no solid result. Today, I put booties on his front feet, to see if this would have any affect on his work ethic.

We ran out a little further than we've gone so far to put in a solid five-and-some-change miles. With Peter on board, I was a little more confidant in making a tight u-turn on the road with extra hands for tangles. When we reached the turn-around point, a place Reese hadn't seen yet, I slowed the ATV and pulled to the right, calling for him to turn left. He hesitated for an instant, then pulled the team around in a picture perfect around-haw! We hardly even came to a complete stop! I cheered out loud!

A few minutes later, I decided to push my luck and slowed the team when we came to a little side-trail that parallels the road for about a quarter mile. We've been on this jag once, but from the other direction. Reese and Xtra looked back at us when we stopped, but quickly took the right. No tangles, no confusion. Norrin hardly even noticed. I was so happy.

Reese & Xtra in Lead
Pepper in Swing
Pico & Norrin in Team
Devilfish & Parka in Wheel

The only low note was Pico. His boots stayed on his feet, and didn't seem to irritate him after the first few strides, but they didn't seem to help with his pulling issue much. He still backed off his tug at about the four-mile point (although maybe getting that far was an improvement?) There is still no limp, and I still can't figure out what is causing the trouble.

Overall, however, it was a spectacular run. A pile of little victories makes a mountain.



No comments: