12.31.2010

resolution

I have yet to run the dogs at night this year, mostly because my new work schedule doesn't demand it. Instead, I am finding myself running rather frequently at dusk. The early sunsets (2:50 today) leave us running home in twilight unless I am really on the ball in getting out the door early in the day.

The last run of the year had us racing through a gentle snow shower as the sun set behind the clouds. By the time we turned onto the marsh trail back to the house it was dark enough to switch on the spectacular jetliner-signaling head lamp Peter got me for Christmas last year. I had forgotten how magical running through the woods with the light bouncing off snowflakes and the sparkle of ice on the trees can be.

Despite that I can run dogs during daylight all season, I resolve for the remainder of the winter to implement regular night runs. I am missing too much of the the moon and the stars and the northern lights, and the dogs love the dark tunnel of trails and chasing the light of the headlamp through the marshes.

Happy New Year! May it take you to places you never dreamed of, and on adventures you'll never forget.

No comments: